Current Status
Not Enrolled
Price
Free
Get Started
Course
Materials

Course Description

Credit Units: 4

Lecturer: Esther Aristides Hamman, LL.B (HONS) BL, LL.M, Email Id; estheraristides@gmail.com, College of Arts, Law, Administration  & Management Sciences, Department of Law, Policy & Strategic Studies

Learning Outcomes/Objectives:

This course continues with an exposition of the principles governing admissions of evidence in trial. Successful completion of Law of Evidence I is therefore a pre-requisite for this course.

  • Expected learning outcomes

At the end of the course, it is expected that the student should be able to:

  1. Identify different types of documents and the rules on their production as evidence
  2. Explain privilege and the rules regarding privileged communications
  3. What standard of proof and Burden of proof 
  4. Rationalize the burden of proof both in criminal and civil trials
  5. Characteristics and elements of Estoppel
  6. Discuss hearsay and the exceptions to the general rule
  7. Identify character evidence and distinguish the rules regarding character evidence in criminal cases vis-a`-vis civil cases and
  8. Distinguish between competence and compellability of witnesses.
  9. Evidence under customary and Islamic law
  10. Opinion Evidence and character Evidence
  • Course content.

Character Evidence; opinion Evidence; Hearsay Evidence; Estoppel; Competence and compellability of witnesses;  privileged Generally;  Corroboration; Burden of proof; Documentary Evidence ;bankers’ books and entries in book of account,  Evidence under customary law/Islamic law.

  • Teaching methodologies

Lectures, case studies, seminars, tutorials and group discussions.

  • Course assessment

Continuous assessment tests, assignment, class participation, tutorials sessions, role-plays, projects and term papers will comprise 30% of the total marks at the end of the semester. Where appropriate, the proposed assessment method for the continuous assessment test/assignment may be modified to suit the course content. The other 70% of the marks will be derived from final examination offered at the end of the semester. The marks can be broken down as follows: 

Class test  10%
Written assignment  10%
Class participation 10%
Final examination 70%
  • Text books and other course materials

Core text

  1. R. Cross and C. Tapper Cross on Evidence, (Butter worth, 1985)
  2. Steve Uglow Evidence: Text and Materials, (2nd Ed.) Sweet & Maxwell 2006)

Further reading 

Dennis, I. The Law of Evidence (3rd Ed.). London: Sweet & Maxwell, (2007).

Please click on the course content tab to have access to all required materials for this course.

Legacy University COVID-19 Response

We wish you and your loved ones health and peace during these uncharted times. Our University remains open with the implementation of online classes for the 2020 academic year via our Legacy University Open eSchool (https://legacyuniversitygm.org/elearning)

For general question please email us at: info@legecyuniversitygm.org, call (+220) 507-3964 or visit the university website - https://legacyuniversitygm.org